About the Crown

The middle, thatched, part of the Crown at Marnhull dates back to the 16th Century. This part of the “James Downe April the 4th 1725″pub is largely untouched and a Priest hole, which at one time led to St Gregory’s Church, is still visible. In the 500 years or so since it was built, the pub has more than doubled in size. At the back of the pub is a beautiful oak panelled wall which is probably Tudor. A stone in the wall under the arch (to the left of the picture above) is inscribed “James Downe….1725”